BEEFY SWEET & SLOPPY JOES
This is a kid-friendly recipe with a great name. Sweet bell peppers give it the sweet, and, the sloppy, well, that’s the whole sandwich. Who doesn’t like to bite into a Sloppy Joe? This Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. recipe is certified by the American Heart Association®.
- 1 pound Ground Beef (96% lean)
- 1 cup chopped yellow, green or red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can or bottle (12 ounces) 100% vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoon lightly-packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, bell pepper and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vegetable juice, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7 to 9 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Evenly place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; close sandwiches.
Nutrition information per serving: 341 Calories; 69.3 Calories from fat; 7.7g Total Fat (2.9 g Saturated Fat; 0.1 g Trans Fat; 1.3 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 2.7 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 76 mg Cholesterol; 499 mg Sodium; 38 g Total Carbohydrate; 5.1 g Dietary Fiber; 30 g Protein; 4.6 mg Iron; 838 mg Potassium; 8.2 mg NE Niacin; 0.6 mg Vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg Vitamin B12; 7.1 mg Zinc; 40 mcg Selenium; 94.6 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Selenium; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, Potassium, and Choline.